Windows 8 stand alone network configuration
Most computers running Windows 8 are configured to allow Ethernet to work automatically over an Internet connection. You need to change the configuration to used a fixed IP address when your laptop and camera are connected together using an Ethernet cable.
Open the Control Panel network settings dialog and adjust the Ethernet network settings.
- Slide your mouse to the upper right corner to bring up the charms bar and select Start.
- Type network to bring up the Network browser window.
- Select the Network tab and then the Properties icon.
- In the left panel of the Network and Sharing Center, select Change adapter settings.
- In the Network Connections window, select Ethernet.
- In Ethernet Properties, select Internet Protocol version 4 (TCP/IPv4) and press the Properties button.
- Select Use the following IP address: and enter the following settings
- IP address: 10.11.12.1
- Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
- Default gateway: leave blank
- Select OK in the Internet Protocol version 4 (TCP/IPv4) dialog and Close in the Ethernet Properties dialog.
You can now browse to your camera using Chrome and the URL
To revert back to the previous Ethernet configuration (so you can connect to the Internet), follow the same steps, but select Obtain an IP address automatically in the Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) dialog.